A while back I got this RYS8839 GPS module from Reyax to test out so I thought I'll give it a try.
The module is super tiny, measuring 11 by 8 mm and only 2.2mm in thickness. Being so small, it is not that easy to work directly and test it out on the bench but, Reyax also makes the module in a more development-friendly version with their RYS8839_Lite module.
Here we have an onboard voltage regulator so it can be powered from either 3.3V or 5V and that is then converted down to 1.8V that is used to power on the module.
The module is dual band, L1 L5 and it also works with multiple satellite constellations: GPS(L1 C/A), GLONASS(L1 OF), SBAS(L1 C/A), QZSS(L1 C/A), BeiDou(B1 TBD) and Galileo(E1 CBOC TBD).
To power it on the bench, I used the RYLS135 level shifter module, also from Reyax, that can be used to convert signals from 5V and 3.3V down to 1.8V needed for the module.
You can see all of the details and the connection process in the video below.
The connection to the computer is done via serial, and a program called GNSS Monitor is used to visualize the data and to send the right commands to the module.
You can support me and the channel by buying from the links below at no additional cost to you!
- ESP32 Development Board - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_oFmrM7t
- NodeMCU Development Board - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_oEKPd4X
- D1 Mini ESP8266 - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_mtJeFHI
- Mini PC for Home Assistant - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_msrHCog
- Soldering Station - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_EzQ4Aab
- Screwdriver Set - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DFvd9Jd
- Repair Toolkit - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DBnunr5
- Soldering Mat - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DchreR1
- Multimeter - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DkGtZpt
- Mini Breadboards - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DE16dRN