In order to improve the safety of my workshop, I decided to build a paddle switch for my workshop.
The nice thing about paddle switches is that you can't accidentally turn it on as you need to actuate the switch from a very small area but you can turn it off immediately as the paddle actuates the off switch from anywhere.
The reason I'm building this is that I want to be able to mount tools to my workbench, from the underside and I won't be able to access their built in switches from the top.
This way, any tool can be plugged into the extension cord and the paddle can be used to turn it on and off.
Check out the video below for more details where you can see me building this switch.
Also, check out the written article over at Instructables.
Tools and materials needed to make this project:
- Soldering iron - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_d8xmmf7
- Assorted resistors - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dSIvhPF
- Solid State Relay - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dTmBlfa
- Industrial On/Off Power Switch - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_d6QWARW
- Assorted transistors (2N2907 & 2N2222) - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dZ7W6Yu
- Prototype PCBs - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dVZ8c6U
- Cordless drill - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dTPzcq8
- Belt sander - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_d9bDOwk
- Wood router - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dVnVrRi
- Linseed oil - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dVHFj1W